Automatic Railway Gate Control System: We understand the importance of public safety in railway systems nowadays. With the rise in train transportation and the increasing number of accidents at railway crossings, it is mandatory to implement some advanced technologies to ensure the safety of passengers as well as drivers.
In this Arduino project, we will discuss an automatic railway gate control system using an Arduino and an infrared sensor. This system is designed to control the opening and closing of railway gates automatically, thus reducing the chances of accidents at railway crossings.
The automatic railway gate control system with Arduino is a technology-based system that ensures the safe passage of trains by automatically controlling railway crossing gates. Using infrared sensors and an Arduino, this system operates automatically without human intervention, improving efficiency and preventing train accidents. Its advanced mechanism eliminates the drawbacks of traditional manual crossing gate systems, ensuring the safety and smooth flow of railway traffic.
Railway crossings are one of the most dangerous areas for both road vehicles as well as pedestrians. According to statistics, approximately 61% of all railway accidents occur at crossings. This is a significant concern that needs to be aware of.
The automatic railway gate control system using an Arduino and infrared sensor is a simple yet effective solution to this problem. The system uses an Arduino microcontroller and infrared sensors to detect the approaching train and automatically close the gates to prevent any accidents.
For better accuracy we need to replace inrared sensors with another commercial sensors. And also point to be noted that this project is just a demonstration purpose, you can build commercial project by getting idea from this article.
What is an Automatic Railway Gate Control?
Automatic Railway Gate Control is an electronic mechanical system that is basically designed to automatically operate railway crossing gates without the need for any human intervention. This system uses detection sensors to detect the approaching train and triggers the crossing gate to close or open for preventing coming vehicles and pedestrians from crossing the railway tracks.
It can also help by improving safety at railway crossings by reducing the risk of accidents caused by human unconsciousness. Like someone forgetting to close the gate or misjudging the distance and speed of an approaching train.
The system can also help to improve traffic jams by minimizing the time to wait for a train to pass, as the gates can be opened as soon as the train has passed the crossing line.
Principle Behind Automatic Railway Gate Control System
The system has two sensors that detect the train’s arrival and sends a signal to the Arduino microcontroller. The Arduino board then processes the signal and sends a command to the motor driver to open or close the crossing gate. The gate remains closed until the train passes, and then it opens automatically.
The following components are required to build an automatic railway gate control system using an Arduino and infrared sensor.
- Arduino Uno
- IR Sensor Module (x2)
- 5V Servo Motor
- Connecting Wires
- 5 Volt Power Supply
- Connect the VCC and GND pins of the IR sensors to the 5V and GND pins of the Arduino board respectively.
- Connect the output pin of the IR sensors to the digital pins 2 & 3 of the Arduino UNO.
- Finally, connect the output pin of the servo motor to the 9th pin of the Arduino UNO.
Note: Make sure to connect the components as per the circuit diagram to avoid any short circuits or damage to the elements.
What are the Components of an Automatic Railway Gate Control System?
The components of an automatic railway gate control system may vary depending on the specific design, but generally, they include the followings:
- Sensors: These are the devices that detect the approaching train and trigger the gate control system.
- Control Unit: It is the central processing unit that receives signals from the sensors and controls the opening and closing of the crossing gate.
- Actuators: These are the mechanical devices that physically operate the gate system, either by moving it up or down.
- Power Supply: It provides essential electrical power to the whole system.
- Warning Device: This is an additional device that warns drivers and pedestrians of the approaching train, such as flashing lights or alarm sirens.
- Backup Power Supply: This is an optional component that provides power to the system in case of a power failure or other electrical errors.
How Does the Automatic Railway Gate Control System Work?
The railway gate control system uses two IR sensors placed on either side of the railway track. These sensors are connected to an Arduino board, which acts as the brain of the whole system.
When a train approaches the crossing line, it breaks the IR rays between the two sensors, and then the Arduino board receives a signal. This signal triggers the crossing gate motor, which closes the gate to prevent any vehicles or pedestrians from crossing the railway track.
Once the train has passed, the IR rays are re-established between them, and the Arduino board sends a signal to the gate motor to open the gate and allow vehicles and pedestrians to cross the railway track safely.
Arduino Source Code
#include <Servo.h> // servo library
int val = 0 ;
int va2 = 0 ;
Serial.begin(9600); // sensor buart rate
pinMode(2,INPUT); // IR sensor 1
pinMode(3,INPUT); // IR sensor 2
s1.attach(9); // Servo Connect 9 pin
val = digitalRead(2); // IR sensor 1 output pin connected
va2 = digitalRead(3); // IR sensor 2 output pin connected
Serial.println(val); // see the value in serial mpnitor in Arduino IDE
Serial.println(va2); // see the value in serial mpnitor in Arduino IDE
delay(10); // Time Delay
if(val == 1 )
s1.write(0); // SERVO 0 DEGREE
if(va2 == 1 )
s1.write(90); // SERVO 90 DEGREE
Advantages of an Automatic Railway Gate Control System?
- Increased safety: One of the primary advantages of automatic railway gates is to increase the safety of both trains and pedestrians. These gates are designed to automatically close when a train is approaching, preventing people and vehicles from crossing the tracks and reducing the risk of accidents.
- Improved efficiency: Automatic railway gates are much more efficient than manual gates because they require less human intervention. This means that trains can pass through more quickly and with less delay, reducing congestion and improving overall transportation efficiency.
- Reduced operating costs: Because automatic railway gates are automated, they require less manpower to operate, which can significantly reduce operating costs over time. Additionally, these gates are designed to last longer than manual gates, which means that they require less maintenance and repair.
- Better traffic control: Automatic railway gates can be integrated with traffic control systems to better manage traffic flow around the railway crossing. This can help reduce traffic congestion and improve overall traffic safety in the surrounding area.
- Enhanced convenience: Automatic railway gates make it easier for pedestrians and drivers to navigate around the railway crossing. With the gates automatically closing when a train is approaching, there is less confusion and uncertainty about when it is safe to cross.
The automatic railway gate control system using an Arduino UNO and IR sensors is a simple and efficient solution to prevent accidents at railway crossings 99%. By implementing the whole system, we can ensure the safety of passengers as well as vehicle drivers, and reduce the number of accidents at railway crossings.
At Electro Gadget, we believe in using advanced technologies to improve safety in railway systems. We hope this project has provided valuable insights into this article.
It is a technology-based solution that replaces the traditional manual railway gate system with an automatic one. It ensures the smooth flow of train operations and reduces the risk of accidents.
Most of the recent automatic railway gates use optical sensors like infrared sensors, laser sensors or motion detectors, which are generally placed on both sides of the crossing gate to detect the train accurately.
Automatic railway gates commonly use high-capacity electric motors or hydraulics to operate perfectly for opening or closing heavy gates.
Automatic railway gates are generally considered safe, but their safety depends on proper design, installation, and maintenance. Regular safety inspections and appropriate measures can minimize the risk of accidents.
The automatic railway gate control system market is expected to expand at 6.8% CAGR to reach USD 14,238.3 Million by 2025.
This system has several advantages, including enhanced safety, efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and reliability. It eliminates the need for manual labour, which reduces the overall cost of maintenance and the chances of human errors.
To test the system, you need to calibrate it for better accuracy. You can do this by placing an object at different distances from the sensor and testing if the gate opens and closes accordingly. You can also test the system by simulating the train’s arrival and departure.
Yes, the system can be customized according to different railway gate sizes by adjusting the motor driver module and the servo motor.