The objective of this project is to fully understand the 9’s complement using the 4-bit adder IC-7483. The IC-7483 is a commonly available TTL 4-bit parallel adder chip. It contains four interconnected full adders and a look-ahead carry circuitry for its operation.
The logic symbol of IC-7483 is shown in figure 2. It has two 4-bit inputs X3, X2, X1, X0 and Y3, Y2, Y1, Y0 and the carry input Cin in the LSB stage. The outputs are a 4-bit sum S3, S2, S1, S0 and carry output Cout from the MSB stage. Two or more parallel adder blocks can be connected in a cascade to perform the addition operation on larger binary numbers. The four least significant bits of the number are added in the first adder.
The carry output of this adder is given as the carry input to the second adder, which adds the four most significant bits of the number. The output carries of the second adder is the final carry output.
Must Read BCD Adder Circuit Using IC7483
- 7483 Full Adder IC
- 7404 NOT Gate IC
- 3 Terminal Switch (x4)
- LED (x4)
- +5V Power Supply
About Parts of 9’s Complement Circuit
IC-7483 Full Adder (4-Bit Binary Adder)
The IC-7483 is a commonly available TTL 4-bit parallel adder chip. It contains four interconnected full adders; a look-ahead carry circuitry for its operation (CLA = Carry Look-Ahead Adder). The logic symbol of IC7483 is shown in fig 2 and the pin configuration in table 1. It has two 4-bit A3, A2, A1, A0 and B3, B2, B1, B0 and a carry input Cin in the LSB stage. The outputs are a 4-bit sum S3, S2, S1, S0 and a carry output (Cout) from the MSB stage.
Two or more parallel adder blocks can be connected in a cascade to perform the addition operation on a larger binary number. The four LSB of the number is added in the first adder. The carry output of this adder is given as carrying input to the second adder, which adds the four MSB of the number. the output carry of the second adder is the final carry output.
IC-7404 (NOT Gate IC)
The IC-7404 is a logic gate IC. It consists of six NOT gates. We know that the NOT gate is also called an inverter because it does complement of the inputs. When we apply zero or low signal to the input, it gives 1 or high signal as in the output. The pin diagram of the IC-7404 is shown in figure 4.
The general form of Truth Table for NOT gate is:
The truth table consists of input (x) and output as mod of |x̄|.
|Input (x)||Output (y)|
Circuit Connection for 9’s Complement Circuit
The circuit connection for this circuit is very easy because few components are used in this circuit. At first, we connect the pins I1, I2, I3 and I4 of the IC-7404 to the common terminals of the 3-terminal switch respectively. Then connect the pin B0, B1, B2, B3 of the IC-7483 to the pin O1, O2, O3, O4 of the IC-7404. Pin Cin is connected to the ground and Cout is set to float for 9’s complement. Then apply +5V VCC across the A1 and A3 pins and ground to the A0 and A3 pins of the IC-7483.
For removing messy wiring and give a clean look, I designed a PCB prototype for this project. It is also helpful for troubleshooting that runs great without any errors. To design this PCB board, I used EasyEDA as it is too easy to use. For ordering PCB for this, I prefer PCBWay.
Gerber file for 9’s Complement Circuit Gerber.
Order PCB From PCBWay
There are so many forums or communities for electronics online in today’s technical world, and one of the famous ones for PCB manufacturing is PCBWay. PCBWay is a place that brings manufacturers and customers together. They have more than a decade of experience in this field of fabrication, prototyping and assembling PCBs. PCBWay has proved its focus on its customers’ needs in terms of cost-effectiveness, delivery, and quality.
How PCB Manufacturing Process Done in PCBWay
Standard quality for any product needs to be maintained using some parameters. PCBWay gives that opportunity through quality control in designing and manufacturing. At first, they ensure the accuracy, clarity, and validity of the PCB files that we sent to them.
Then all the boards will go through the most stringent tests other than the basic visual check. They adopt most of the testing and inspecting equipment used in the industry, such as Flying Probe Tester, X-Ray Inspection Machine, and Automated Optical Inspection (AOI) Machine. PCBWay are having 50+ new engineers on the daily basis around the world using PCBs for their work, who trust for their reliable quality. They produce high-quality pink, orange, grey, and even transparent solder mask. Moreover, according to people’s needs, they can also provide Black core PCB. Check it out for a High-Quality PCB solder mask. There are some pictures below of the new colours of solder musks.
Features of PCBWay
PCB Prototyping & Manufacturing: PCBWay produces FR-4 and Aluminum boards and advanced PCBs like Rogers, HDI, Flexible and Rigid-Flex boards, at a very reasonable price. Just check this Instant Quote to order premium PCBs for your hobby projects.
PCB Assembly: It not only offers PCB Prototyping but also offers PCB Assembly service. You can order a full PCB board with attached components by uploading your file. SMT & THT assembly starts from only 30$ including free stencil and worldwide shipping. The components can be sourced and provided by PCBWay, or by clients themselves.
Open Source Community: It not only offers PCB Prototype & Assembly service but also gives opportunities to students for sponsorships. I think this is so great. They feature their projects on the website also.
3D Printing & CNC: It also produces Rapid Prototyping like 3D printing, CNC Machining, Sheet Metal Fabrication, and Injection Molding. The quality of the product is too premium and reliable. And also the best part is that you will receive your order within a minimum of 3 days.
PCBWay Store: More boutique gift modules are waiting for you to discover, giving your creativity wings. You can order all types of electronic equipment, components and many more with exciting offers. Go with the link and buy your needs, PCBWay Store.
Services: PCBWay offers great servicing of their products. It takes only 3 to 15 days according to courier service to deliver your products. Also, it has a live support facility. Whenever you have any problems, you can always reach a live customer service person to respond to your emails or messages. They have the “Return and Refund” principle, for every unusable board caused by PCBWay, they will rebuild and refund the order soon.
Working Principle of 9’s Complement Circuit
Now to get 9’s complement using a 4-bit full adder i.e., IC-7483 have some specific ways.
- 9’s complement of a 4-bit number (BCD code) “x” is, 1001-x = 9-x; instead of subtracting “x” from 9, we can use the following method by which we can avoid this subtraction.
- The 9’s complement of a BCD code of a number “x” can be expressed as:
9-x = (15-6)-x = (15-x)-6 = x̄-6=(x̄+10)
or, 9-x = [(15-x)+10]-16
- The first part (15-x) is the 1’s complement of x when x is a BCD number i.e. (15-x) produces x̄.
- In the circuit implementation, with the IC-7483 adder circuit, this x̄ can be generated by four single inverters, i.e., 4-bit inverted numbers are x̄3, x̄2, x̄1, x̄0.
- Now in the first case, (x̄-6) = (x̄+10) can be done by the 2’s complement of the 6 which form gives 10.
(6) → 0110 (1’s complement)→ 1001 (Add+1) → 1010 (2’s Complement)
Next, the (10)10 =(1010) can easily be added to the inverter’s output by using a 4-bit full adder IC-7483.
- The subtraction of 16 from the sum output of the full adder can be done very easily by ignoring the (COut ).
- The (Cin) input should be grounded otherwise extra 1 will be added. So carefully grounded the (Cin) i.e., pin 13 for IC-7483 to 0.
- Next, in general, any 4-bit binary number x can be subtracted from another 4-bit number N(N>x), if we use the circuit shown in the diagram. In this circuit, the four inverters will produce (15-x) from the binary number (x).
Due to this inversion, the B input of IC-7483 receives (15-x). The other 4-bit binary number N is applied to the A inputs of IC-7483.
The sum of (15-x), N. and Cin =1 will be.
S = N+(15-x)+1
S = 16+(N-x)
i.e., the output S3, S2, S1, S0 will be (N-x) and the Cout will be 1. If Cout is discarded then we get the difference (N-X) at S3, S2, S1, S0 in the output of IC-7483.
Truth Table for Full Adder
Truth Table for 9’s Complement
Precautions & Discussions of 9’s Complement Circuit
- Various resistance should be chosen in the conduction state current through the LEDs. So that it does not exceed the maximum rated current. So carefully choose the safety resistance for LED.
- The experiment has been done by using the level logic where a high voltage i.e. equal to (+Vcc) i.e. =+5V DC is taken as ‘1’ and a low voltage i.e., equal to (GND) = 0V is taken as ‘0’.
- LEDs used for proper current limiting resistance can be used for easy and quick visual identification of the ‘0’ and ‘1’ state. If a LED glows then it is a 1’s state and if it does not glow then it is a ‘0’ state.
- While connecting the +5V DC supply to the IC, special care should be taken. Connection to any wrong pin may damage the IC.
- Carefully connect the (Cin) pin for IC-7483 (4-bit full adder) for 9’s complement; as for 9’s compliment Cin =0 or low voltage level.
- For connecting the inverted output from NOT Gate, IC-7404 to IC-7483 one of 4-bits input, special care should be taken during setting up the wire connection to LSB and MSB bit. So that the output should be in the correct form otherwise it goes wrong.